Boys will often externalize symptoms of substance abuse by:
- Fighting with peers or authority figures
- Getting into trouble with the law
- Displaying irritability and anger
- Performing poorly at school
- Associating with negative peer groups
- Using drugs and alcohol in group settings to increase acceptance
- Isolating themselves from parents
- Dropping out of sports and other activities
Muir Wood’s Addiction Treatment Program for Teen Boys
In a program designed specifically for adolescent boys, we have developed a safe, therapeutic environment where boys are not confronted, but rather engaged and challenged to work on early recovery skills, effective communication, life skills, stress management, spiritual development, accountability and being of support and service to others.
In this therapeutic and non-adversarial approach, boys tend to be kinder and more collaborative with their peers, feel a true sense of safety to discuss sensitive issues in group settings, hold each other accountable for participation in the treatment program, are more open to discuss mental health issues such as depression, and display less aggression and posturing as there are no females to distract from the treatment process.
Our addiction treatment program for boys offers a few key elements that make it such an effective program:
- Adventure Therapy: Through weekly adventure outings with a master’s-level therapist, teen boys develop confidence, build mastery, and have incredible outdoor experiences. Designed around the “Rights of Passage” model, each therapeutic outing includes lectures, discussions, and experiential activities focused on challenge and achievement.
- Life skill development: In our group residential setting, boys learn personal responsibility, accountability, and effective communication. There is a high level of expectation around behavior and participation in shared activities such as chores and group meals.
- Testing and Assessment: As a program that specializes in treating co-occurring disorders, our testing and assessment program provides the most accurate diagnosis of any underlying mental health, learning, or behavioral issues. This is critical for long-term success.
- Physical fitness and nutrition: Boys need to learn how to feel good in their bodies without the use of drugs and alcohol. We provide multiple sessions with a certified personal fitness trainer each week, weekly sessions with a certified yoga therapist, as well as a nutrition plan that helps boys develop a positive relationship with healthy food.
In Muir Wood’s therapeutic setting, adolescent boys feel valued and engaged. Interventions that address the unique needs of adolescent boys significantly increase treatment effectiveness, retention in treatment, and positive treatment outcomes.
If you have any questions about the gender-specific approach to treatment, please don’t hesitate to contact us today. You can also learn more about our clinical program or find out about the types of boys we treat at Muir Wood.